As a carer, you may feel that some training might help you.
Here at Carer Support Dorset, we can put you in touch with local training providers who may be able to assist and we may even be able to financially support your training requirements. Get in touch with us today to find out more. Take a look at the types of training available to carers locally:
- Free sessions in Basic First Aid. Can be arranged at venues county-wide.
- Basic lifesaving first aid course in Poole, Yeovil and Salisbury run by St John’s Ambulance for a cost of £30 (three hour session). To book, carers should telephone: 0844 770 4800. Please note that places are limited.
- Training sessions in Basic Life Support (free for carers to access taking place in Portland, Poole and Andover)
- Training sessions in Mental Health (free for carers to access taking place in Portland, Poole and Andover)
- Mental Health First Aid training is available at a cost from Ouch Training in Wimborne. A one-day Mental Health First Aid Champion course costs £178.80. To book a place, carers should ring 0800 389 1314 or visit their website.
- Public Health England has a free online tool – Your Mind Plan – to promote better mental health for people (not just carers) using recommendations from mental health experts.
Dementia training sessions
- Free dementia-friendly training (1 hour 15 minute sessions).
- A seven week training course for carers of people with dementia in the east and west of the county.
- Training sessions in dementia awareness (free for carers to access taking place in Portland, Poole and Andover)
Moving and Handling People training
- Training sessions in moving and handling people (free for carers to access taking place in Portland, Poole and Andover)
- Four hour ‘Moving and Handling People’ training course in Yeovil, Poole and Salisbury run by St John’s Ambulance. Cost: £90. To book, carers should telephone: 0844 770 4800. Please note that places are limited.
- Training for carers for small groups of carers (age 50+)
- Digital Champions – training for people who have never used the internet before
Safe administration of medication
- Training sessions in safe administration of medication (free for carers to access and taking place in Portland, Poole and Andover)
- Cookery classes for vulnerable people and carers held in Shaftesbury.
Online training for carers:
- Devon Digital Carers offers an online resource with bitesize learning to help carers develop their skills: https://take20.devondigitalcarers.co.uk/ Carers don’t have to live in the county to access the course.
- Carers UK run an online course aiming to help carers to identify resources, technology and sources of support. Cost: £30. Find out more here.
If you are interested in some kind of training then please do let us know by contacting us at email@example.com or by calling 0800 368 8349.