As a carer, you may feel that some training might help you.
Here at Carer Support Dorset, we can put you in touch with local training providers who may be able to assist and we may even be able to financially support your training requirements. Get in touch with us today to find out more.
Take a look at the types of training available to carers locally: (Please note that due to the Covid-19 pandemic, training may have changed and may only be offered on an online basis.)
- Ouch training provide Mental Health First Aid Training and mental health first aid. You can find out more on their website.
- Dorset training offer a 3 hour course on basic life support. You can enquire on their website.
- 1st class first aid provide a variety of first aid training in Dorset. You can find a full list of their courses on their website. Most of their training courses take place in Bournemouth.
- We provide regular training sessions with Rethink mental illness you can find our next sessions on our what’s on page.
- Mental Health First Aid training is available at a cost from Ouch Training in Wimborne. A one-day Mental Health First Aid Champion course costs £178.80. To book a place, carers should ring 0800 389 1314 or visit the Ouch training website.
- Public Health England has a free online tool called Your Mind Plan to promote better mental health for people (not just carers) using recommendations from mental health experts.
Dementia training sessions
- We regulary offer a 3 session Dementia training course for carers. You can find out when our next training is on the what’s on section of our webpage or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Moving and Handling People training
- Training sessions in moving and handling people (free for carers to access taking place in Portland, Poole and Andover)
- Four hour ‘Moving and Handling People’ training course in Yeovil, Poole and Salisbury run by St John’s Ambulance. Cost: £90. To book, carers should telephone: 0844 770 4800. Please note that places are limited.
- Training for carers for small groups of carers (age 50+)
- The Dorset Council website has information on Digital Champions who can help train people who have never used the internet before
- Dorset Computers 4 Carers offer computers for full-time unpaid carers and provide some training when you receive your computer.
Online training for carers:
- Devon Digital Carers offers an online resource with bitesize learning to help carers develop their skills. Carers don’t have to live in the county to access the course.
- Carers UK run an online course aiming to help carers to identify resources, technology and sources of support. Cost: £30.
If you are interested in some kind of training then please do let us know by contacting us at email@example.com or by calling 0800 368 8349.