Join the NHS England Young Carer Health Champion programme in July 2020!
The Young Carers Health Champion programme was established in 2015 to support improved health literacy, promote health and wellbeing and develop the capacity of young carers to participate in planning and development of young carer friendly services. It aims to support service change through young carer voices.
The 12-month programme is made up of young carers (aged between 16 – 24) from across the country. You will experience self-development, be part of healthcare initiatives that aim to improve young carer identification and support and develop an action plan with outcomes that further support young carer friendly services.
Why join the Programme?
If you are a young/young adult carer who wants to make a difference and contribute your experience and ideas, then this programme is for you.
Health Champions that complete the programme can become a Mentor for the next cohort of Health Champions, your personal development and opportunity to be part of national work to improve the support and identification of young carers can continue.
How to join & what does the Programme involve?
NHS England are recruiting now for the July 2020 programme. The 12-month programme consists of; three residential weekends which must be attended with a Support Worker from your Young Carer Organisation, regular virtual contact as a group through the closed Facebook group and opportunities to participate and contribute to healthcare events and workshops.
If you are keen to be considered for this programme email Paula Cruise now with your name, age and Young Carer Organisation Support Worker contact details to Paula.Cruise@nhs.net or call Paula on 07800 171820 if you have any questions. Closing date for applications is 5th June 2020. Confirmation of acceptance on the programme will be sent the following week.
Dates you need to know
During the 12 months programme we meet for three residential weekends. The dates are:
Friday July 24th to Sunday 26th, 2020
Tuesday October 27th to Thursday 29th, 2020
Friday April 9th to Sunday 11th, 2021
Notes for Young Carer Organisations
- To support fair geographical representation, we can welcome a maximum of four young/young adult carers from the same Organisation at any one time.
- The first and third weekends are held at activity centres, the second weekend is held in an hotel in a city centre. All venues will be confirmed asap.
- A Support Worker(s) must accompany the young carers(s) that are taking part on the Programme residential weekends and where appropriate other opportunities that require travel for example; NHS England workshops and events.
- We do require the support workers to be responsible for and available to their young carers throughout the weekends particularly between 10pm – 8am and we encourage them to get involved in all activities.
- The programme is funded to support all necessary travel requirements to enable full participation on the programme for the young carers and support workers. The programme can also support a £150 contribution per support worker per residential.