*Due to the ongoing Coronavirus situation, many carer support groups have been suspended. Please contact Carer Support Dorset to check the current situation regarding your own group – some are offering phone call support instead.*
There are the following carer support groups in Dorset:
- Dorset Mental Health Carers Project. Contact Nigel Ford 01963 362084.
- Alderholt Carers Cafe, Alderholt Chapel – Wednesdays, third week of the month, 10.30am-12.30pm. Contact 01425 655155 or email@example.com
- The Leonardo Trust runs a carers support group which meets on the last Wednesday of the month at their office in Broadstone, 1pm-3pm. They also run two coffee mornings per month:
Ladies Group – every 2nd Wednesday of the month 10am-12noon
Gents Group – every 3rd Wednesday of the month 10am-12noon
- Bere Regis Carer Group – second Tuesday of each month (GP Surgery patients generic carer support). Contact Mechelle Maidment, Community Nurse, Bere Regis Surgery 01929 471268.
- Rethink mental illness carer support group – 1pm-3pm (Monthly). Contact Ren Griffiths 07436 816039.
- Open Coffee Mornings run by Blandford Connect – Carers Support Session, Blandford Community Centre. Tuesdays, first week of the month, 10am-12noon. Contact 01258 480762 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Blandford Step Ahead Group For Carers of People with Memory Problems, Blandford Community Centre – Wednesdays, first week of the month, 1.30pm to 3pm. Contact 01258 480762 or email@example.com
- Bridport and District Carers Support Group – first Friday each month, 10am-12noon held at Greenfields Day Centre, Hospital Lane, Bridport, DT6 5DR. Contact Marion Wrighton 01308 427494.
- Bridport Rethink Relatives and Carers Support Group – first Tuesday each month, 2pm-4pm. Sanctuary Room, The Chapel in the Green. Contact Ren Griffiths 07436 816039 firstname.lastname@example.org or Shelley Wilson 07436 790489 or email@example.com
- Bridport Memory Cafe – first Thursday of the month, 2pm–3.30pm held at St Swithun’s Church, North Allington, Bridport. Contact 0300 123 1916 for more details.
- The Living Tree – Community led group – supporting anyone affected by any cancer including carers and families. Offering a cuppa, chat, complimentary therapies, physical activity, arts and crafts, and much more. Meets every Friday afternoon. Contact 07341 916976.
- Corfe Castle Carers Group – fourth Thursday of each month. Contact Corfe Castle GP Surgery 01929 480441.
- Corfe Mullen Carers Support Group, Corfe Mullen Library. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hadleigh Carers Group, Corfe Mullen Family Church, Wareham Road, Corfe Mullen, Dorset, BH21 3LE. First Thursday of every month between 2pm-3.30pm. Contact 01202 604345.
- Dorset Carers Hub – meets twice weekly on Wednesdays and Fridays offering generic carer support for carers of adults and children. Contact Mark Watson 07989 306322.
- Dorchester Carers Support Group – last Friday of the month, 10.30am-12noon. Contact Sheila Biddlecombe 01305 269073.
- Dorchester Rethink Carers Support Group – first Monday of the month, 10am-12noon. Contact
- Ren Griffiths 07436 816039 email@example.com or Shelley Wilson 07436 790489 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dorchester Butterflies Cancer Support Group – every Wednesday at the Dorchester Community Church, Liscombe Street, Poundbury, DT1 3DF, 2pm-4pm.
- Carer Supporter Group, Barrington Centre, Pennys Walk, Ferndown BH22 9TH. First Thursday of the month, 10.30am-12noon. Contact Carol 07867 35458 email@example.com
- Gillingham Rethink Carers Support Group. Second Wednesday, second week of the month and fourth week of the month, 10am-12noon. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Marching On group for men, St Martin’s Grange, The Circle Community Room, Gillingham, SP8 4QD. Every other Thursday between 10.30am–12.30pm. Contact 07504 821558/01747 852153
- Gillingham Mindful Café, St Martin’s Grange, The Circle Community Room, Gillingham, SP8 4QD. Every other Tuesday between 10am–12noon
- Lyme Regis Carers Support Group, meets at “The Hub”, Church Street, Lyme Regis DT7 3DB – group starts 19/11/19 and from then on runs on the third Tuesday of the month 1.30pm-2.30pm Contact email@example.com
- My Time Carer Support – third Tuesday of the month, 2pm-4pm. Meets at Shaftesbury Plus Day Centre, Trinity Centre, Bimport, Shaftesbury. Contact Shaftesbury Plus 01747 854959.
- Shaftesbury and District Carers (with a particular focus on adults with mental health issues/learning disabilities). Contact www.shaftesburycarers.org 01747 851397.
- Rethink, for carers supporting adults experiencing mental health issues across Dorset, www.rethink.org or 01305 262771.
- ‘My Time’ Carer Support Group – first Thursday of every month, 2pm-3.30pm. Contact Francesca Clarke 01935 816321.
- Sherborne Rethink Carers Support Group – first Friday of each month, 10.30am-12.30pm. Contact Shelley Wilson – 07436 790489.
- My Time (Sherborne) – Carers Support Session, The Shielings Day Centre – Thursdays, first week of the month, 2pm-3.30pm. Contact 01935 816321 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- SCARS Cancer Support – Stalbridge Cancer and Recovery Support, a patient led community support group open to anyone affected by any cancer, including carers and families. Meets last Monday of the month. Contact email@example.com 07961 027089
- My Time (Sturminster Newton) – Carers Support Session, Stour Castle Day Centre – Wednesdays, second week of the month, 10am to 12noon. Contact 01258 472957 or DORSET.StourviewDayCentre@tricuro.co.uk
- Rethink will be running a new support group for people in North and West Dorset from 5 February 2020. Meets first Wednesday of the month, 11am-1pm, at The Exchange, Sturminster Newton. Contact: Shelley Wilson 07436 790489.
- Swanage Carers Group – first Tuesday of each month. Contact Sandra Rhead 01929 421251.
- Purbeck Rethink Carers Support Group. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Upton Carers Group – fourth Wednesday of each month. Contact Bridget Barrett – 01202 207310.
- Verwood and District Carers Group – Mondays, first week of the month, 2pm-3.30pm. Contact Lorraine Goddard 01725 517870.
- Wareham Carers Group – second Tuesday of each month. Contact Marilyn Butler email@example.com
- West Moors Carers Group, West Moors Group Practice – Wednesdays, first week of the month, 10.30am-12noon. Contact 01202 865800.
- Carers Café, Pavilion Hall, Fryers Field, West Moors – First Wednesday of every month (excluding January). Contact 01202 865800
- Wimborne Carers Support Group, St John’s Church Hall – Fridays, third week of the month, 10.30am-12:30pm. Contact 07867 354588 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wimborne Rethink Carers Support Group. Contact email@example.com
Weymouth and Portland
- Alzheimer’s Society Weymouth Carers group, second Tuesday of each month. Contact Jean Seymour 01305 549302.
- Portland Carers Group – last Monday each month (excl Bank Holidays). Contact Jo Pearce 01305 826479.
- Weymouth Carers Group – third Tuesday of each month at 11am. Meetings are held at the Weymouth & Melcombe Regis Working Mens Club, 1 Mitchell Street, Weymouth, DT4 8BT. Contact 07766 529297 (leave message with your contact details and your call will be returned).
- Weymouth Rethink Carers Support Group – every Friday, 10am-1pm. Meets at Leon Centre, Fernhill Avenue. Contact Ren Griffiths 01305 262771 / 07436 816039.
- Parkinson’s Carer Support Group – second Friday each month. Contact Jane or Peter Dare 01305 815173.
- C’Siders – Community led group – supporting anyone affected by any cancer including carers and families. Meets every other Monday evening. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org 07430 695462
Look out for further details of carer support groups and events in our what’s on section.
If you are looking for carer support groups in the Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole area, please contact CRISP.