Local carer groups can help give you support from others in your caring role.
There are the following carer support groups in Dorset:
- Dorset Mental Health Carers Project. Contact Nigel Ford 01963 362084.
- Alderholt Carers Cafe, Alderholt Chapel – Wednesdays, third week of the month, 10.30am-12.30pm. Contact 01425 655155 or email@example.com
- Bere Regis Carer Group – second Tuesday of each month (GP Surgery patients generic carer support). Contact Mechelle Maidment, Community Nurse, Bere Regis Surgery 01929 471268.
- Rethink mental illness carer support group – 1pm-3pm (Monthly). Contact Ren Griffiths 07436 816039.
- Open Coffee Mornings run by Blandford Connect – Carers Support Session, Blandford Community Centre. Tuesdays, first week of the month, 10am-12noon. Contact 01258 480762 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Blandford Step Ahead Group For Carers of People with Memory Problems, Blandford Community Centre – Wednesdays, first week of the month, 1.30pm to 3pm. Contact 01258 480762 or email@example.com
- Bridport and District Carers Support Group – first Friday each month, 10am-12noon held at Greenfields Day Centre, Hospital Lane, Bridport, DT6 5DR. Contact Marion Wrighton 01308 427494.
- Bridport Rethink Relatives and Carers Support Group – first Tuesday each month. Contact Olivia Stephen firstname.lastname@example.org or 07436 790489.
- Corfe Castle Carers Group – fourth Thursday of each month. Contact Corfe Castle GP Surgery 01929 480441.
- Corfe Mullen Carers Support Group, Corfe Mullen Library. Contact email@example.com
- Dorset Carers Hub – meets twice weekly on Wednesdays and Fridays offering generic carer support for carers of adults and children. Contact Mark Watson 07989 306322.
- Dorchester Carers Support Group – last Friday of the month, 10.30am-12noon. Contact Sheila Biddlecombe 01305 269073.
- Dorchester Rethink Carers Support Group – weekly on Wednesdays. Contact Olivia Stephen firstname.lastname@example.org or 07436 790489.
- Dorchester Butterflies Cancer Support Group – every Wednesday at the Dorchester Community Church, Liscombe Street, Poundbury, DT1 3DF, 2pm-4pm.
- Carer Supporter Group, Barrington Centre, Pennys Walk, Ferndown BH22 9TH. First Thursday of the month, 10.30am-12noon. Contact Carol 07867 35458 email@example.com
- Gillingham Rethink Carers Support Group. Second Wednesday, second week of the month and fourth week of the month, 10am-12noon. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lyme Regis Carers Support Group, meets at “The Hub”, Church Street, Lyme Regis DT7 3DB – group starts 19/11/19 and from then on runs on the third Tuesday of the month 1.30pm-2.30pm Contact email@example.com
- My Time Carer Support – third Tuesday of the month, 2pm-4pm. Meets at Shaftesbury Plus Day Centre, Trinity Centre, Bimport, Shaftesbury. Contact Shaftesbury Plus 01747 854959.
- Shaftesbury and District Carers (with a particular focus on adults with mental health issues/learning disabilities). Contact www.shaftesburycarers.org 01747 851397.
- Rethink, for carers supporting adults experiencing mental health issues across Dorset, www.rethink.org or 01305 262771.
- ‘My Time’ Carer Support Group – first Thursday of every month, 2pm-3.30pm. Contact Francesca Clarke 01935 816321.
- Sherborne Rethink Carers Support Group – first Friday of each month, 10.30am-12.30pm. Contact Shelley Wilson – 07436 790489.
- My Time (Sherborne) – Carers Support Session, The Shielings Day Centre – Thursdays, first week of the month, 2pm-3.30pm. Contact 01935 816321 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- My Time (Sturminster Newton) – Carers Support Session, Stour Castle Day Centre – Wednesdays, second week of the month, 10am to 12noon. Contact 01258 472957 or DORSET.StourviewDayCentre@tricuro.co.uk
- Rethink will be running a new support group for people in North and West Dorset from 5 February 2020. Meets first Wednesday of the month, 11am-1pm, at The Exchange, Sturminster Newton. Contact: Shelley Wilson 07436 790489.
- Swanage Carers Group – first Tuesday of each month. Contact Sandra Rhead 01929 421251.
- Purbeck Rethink Carers Support Group. Contact email@example.com
- Upton Carers Group – fourth Wednesday of each month. Contact Bridget Barrett – 01202 207310.
- Verwood and District Carers Group, Connect (next to The Hub) – Mondays, first week of the month, 1.30pm-3.30pm. Contact Lorraine Goddard 01725 517870.
- Wareham Carers Group – second Tuesday of each month. Contact Marilyn Butler firstname.lastname@example.org
- West Moors Carers Group, West Moors Group Practice – Wednesdays, first week of the month, 10.30am-12noon. Contact 01202 865800.
- Carers Café, Pavilion Hall, Fryers Field, West Moors – First Wednesday of every month (excluding January). Contact 01202 865800
- Wimborne Carers Support Group, St John’s Church Hall – Fridays, third week of the month, 10.30am-12:30pm. Contact 07867 354588 or email@example.com
- Wimborne Rethink Carers Support Group. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Weymouth and Portland
- Alzheimer’s Society Weymouth Carers group, second Tuesday of each month. Contact Jean Seymour 01305 549302.
- Portland Carers Group – last Monday each month (excl Bank Holidays). Contact Jo Pearce 01305 826479.
- Weymouth Carers Group – third Tuesday of each month at 11am. Meetings are held at the Weymouth & Melcombe Regis Working Mens Club, 1 Mitchell Street, Weymouth, DT4 8BT. Contact 07766 529297 (leave message with your contact details and your call will be returned).
- Weymouth Rethink Carers Support Group – every Friday. Contact Ren Griffiths 01305 262771 / 07436 816039.
- Parkinson’s Carer Support Group – second Friday each month. Contact Jane or Peter Dare 01305 815173.
Look out for further details of carer support groups and events in our what’s on section.