Looking after someone with Dementia
Dementia is a syndrome associated with an ongoing decline of brain functioning. Alzheimer’s disease is the most common type of dementia in the UK. It can affect memory, thinking skills and other mental abilities.
Dorset Police have information on the Herbert Protocol, a useful tool used for those caring for someone with dementia.
For information around understanding and supporting someone suffering from Dementia visit Alzheimer’s Society. Their website also has information around finding the right kind of respite care, considering a care home and end of life care.
They also operate the National Dementia Helpline: 0300 222 1122
There are the following support groups and organisations in Dorset for carers and those with dementia:
- Alzheimer’s Support Weymouth Carers Group meets the second Tuesday each month. Contact Jean Seymour 01305 549302.
- Alzheimer’s Society Allotment Gardening Group, Bridport. Contact 01202 764352.
- Oakley Friends meets the fourth Wednesday of each month (general group with an emphasis on dementia). Contact Judy Barnes 01202 021705 / Ann Nicoll 01202 690554 or email: email@example.com
- Stepping into Nature Across Dorset – Dementia-friendly outdoor activities for people with dementia and their carers.
- Step Ahead group, Blandford Forum – first Wednesday of each month for carers of people with memory problems. Contact 01258 480762.
- Dementia Action Alliance, Blandford Forum. Contact Anita Roberts 07834 593976 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tricuro Shaftesbury Plus supports people living with dementia in Shaftesbury and surrounding areas and is open Monday- Saturday, 9am-4pm. Contact 01747 854959 or email email@example.com
- Growing Compassionate Communities – offers dementia walks, reminiscence sessions and carpet bowls in Corfe Mullen.
Memory cafes, music and singing
- Age UK Wareham Melodies for Memories – first and third Friday each month. Contact Natalie Betts 07747 533252.
- Age UK Melodies for Memories – Music and songs for cognitive stimulation (west Dorset). Contact Hilary Foggo – 01305 269444.
- Alzheimer’s Society Wareham Memory Café – first and third Monday of each month. Contact 07525 824891.
- Alzheimer’s Society Swanage Memory Café – first and third Thursday of each month. Contact 07525 824891.
- Alzheimer’s Society Singing for the Brain, Dorchester – every other Thursday. Contact 01202 764352.
- Alzheimer’s Society Singing for the Brain/Memory Café, Sherborne. Thursdays 11am-12.30pm. Contact Melanie Matthews 07860 592407 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alzheimer’s Society Memory Café, Dorchester – every other Thursday. Contact 01202 764352.
- Alzheimer’s Society Memory Café, Bridport – every other Thursday. Contact 01202 764352.
- Beaminster Melodies For Memories – every other Tuesday 10.30am-12.15pm at Abbeyfield House.
- Singing for the Brain, Blandford Forum. Contact Sarah Rampton 01202 764352 / 07525-824892.
- Reminiscence group, meets Portland Library on last Thursday of the month, 2pm-3pm. Contact 01305 820171.
- The Forget-me-not Songsters, meets at Community 2000, Easton, Portland every Wednesday, 10am-11.30am. Contact 01305 823789.